Healing is a Powerful Component of Your Recovery
Preparing for spine surgery can be a stressful time, but it does not have to be that way. You will likely have some questions before your procedure, and these will be answered for you so that you understand exactly what is being done and why.
What might not be foremost in your mind at this point is spinal surgery recovery. New York’s leading spine surgeon, Dr. Ezriel Kornel, will not only perform your surgery, but he will talk to you about the things you can expect during the recovery process. Dr. Kornel will offer you instructions and expert advice to help make your recovery as fast and comfortable for you as possible.
What is the Impact of Spine Surgery on Your Body?
The entire purpose of having spine surgery is to alleviate your pain, remove damaged discs or bone, eliminate your symptoms, cure or prevent further disease, and improve your quality of life after the surgery has been done. You will definitely be able to enjoy a much better life after your surgery has been completed! However, it is important to understand that it takes time for both the body and mind to recover from this and get back to normal. The spine is in many ways the super highway of the body, and when your spine is healthy your body will feel better too. After you have recovered from spine surgery, you will find that, not only does your back feel better, but your whole body will likely feel better too.
Any back surgery recovery period can be enhanced by having minimally invasive surgery. The most modern techniques available today enable you to recover much more quickly. The techniques Dr. Kornel uses preserve as much of your healthy tissues as possible so that you experience less pain and a much faster return home.
What Can You Expect?
Your body will need time to recover and return to normal function after you have your surgery. The recovery process is different for each patient, and the time it takes can depend upon factors such as your age, overall health, extent of surgery and the procedure you had, and your mental outlook. A positive attitude to your recovery process and expectation of a great outcome goes a long way to achieving a faster and more efficient recovery.
Tips for Recovery From Back Surgery
- Adhere to your surgeon’s instructions
- Don’t push your body too far too soon
- Rest as much as possible and sleep when you need to
- Exercise as instructed and actively participate in prescribed rehabilitation programs
- Take pain medications according to the instructions given when you leave the hospital
- Wear comfortable and loose clothing
- Ask your surgeon if a postoperative brace for the back or neck could be helpful
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet with high fiber foods
- Drink plenty of water
- Allow yourself treats in moderation
- Surround yourself with positive people to help you and provide company
- Use ice packs and heating pads to help alleviate post operative pain
- Entertain yourself with what you enjoy – books, magazines, movies, music, wanted visitors, etc
- If possible, quit smoking and lose weight (if you are overweight) prior to surgery
- Be patient with yourself and your recovery process
- Call your surgeon’s office if you have any concerns
As you recover, any discomfort you have should diminish a little each day, and you should also gradually experience increased energy and periods of being gently active. These are indications that the recovery process is going well and according to plan.
You Are in Great Hands…
New York spine surgeon Dr. Kornel provides a caring and compassionate holistic approach to your wellbeing in the period after surgery has successfully been completed. Whether you have a minimally invasive spinal fusion or a laminectomy, recovery in New York will be more efficient when you put yourself in Dr. Kornel’s hands.
Please call Dr. Kornel’s office at (914) 351-3600 to make an appointment to see him or visit us online at topspinesurgeonnyc.com to learn more about spinal surgery recovery in New York.