Back pain surgery is one of the main reasons people seek an appointment with a top spine surgeon in NYC. Back pain is a very common problem, and anyone who has experienced it knows how miserable it can be. In some people it is of short or self-limiting duration, however in others, it’s a long term and debilitating issue that can impact negatively on all areas of life. Life is no fun at all when you have back pain.
Most cases of back pain will resolve on their own in a few days or weeks; many may require medical treatments including pain medications, rest, ice and heat therapy, and physical therapy for the back pain to be relieved and cured. A small number of overall cases of back pain will, however, be ongoing, and surgical treatment is indeed the best approach to bring relief to long-suffering patients.
The great news is that there are ever more innovative and effective surgical technologies available for treating back pain.
Back Pain Surgery – Consistently Evolving
Medical researchers, including doctors and surgeons, continuously undertake medical studies to discover, prove, and fine-tune the effectiveness of new and exciting techniques in inpatient treatments. This research includes the vast field of spine and back pain surgery, and approaches to the surgical treatment of back pain are always improving and becoming more innovative for the benefit of patients like you.
Dr. Ezriel E. Kornel is at the forefront of minimally invasive spine surgery and minimally-invasive spine surgery in NYC. During your appointment, he will make sure to go over the different innovative technologies in the medical field that are currently available in order for you to have a better quality of life.
Some Exciting New Back Pain Surgery Technologies
Some of the newer surgical technologies that are now available, or are rapidly becoming available, for alleviating back pain include:
- Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement – a great alternative to anterior cervical discectomy and fusion, allowing for better flexibility in the neck after surgery.
- Minimally Invasive Vertebral Fusions with improved fusion devices and more options for bone grafting.
- Vertebral Augmentation for spinal bone compression fractures.
- Sacroiliac Joint Fusion to alleviate pain caused by sacroiliac joint dysfunction.
- Spinal Cord Stimulation – a minimally invasive and reversible procedure whereby a thin wire is inserted into the spinal column to electrically block pain signals, relieving lower back and leg pain.
- Intradiscal Electrothermoplasty – this new procedure aims to treat back pain from damaged intervertebral discs. A fine needle is inserted into the disc using x-rays for guidance. A wire is threaded via the needle into the disc, and this is then heated; the small nerve fibers that have grown into the damaged disc (and which cause pain) are destroyed, and the body is triggered to regenerate the disc.
- Radiofrequency Discal Nucleoplasty – this very new technique is still in its earliest stages but offers an exciting look to the future options for back pain surgery where disc disease is the culprit. A needle is inserted into the damaged disc, and a radiofrequency probe is introduced via the needle. This probe generates a targeted plasma field which vaporizes part of the disc nucleus, decompressing the disc and reducing pressure on the disc as well as its local nerve roots. This is a promising technique for relief of sciatica pain.
These are just a few of the new technologies that are creating a buzz and changing lives when it comes to treatment of back pain – and Dr. Kornel can advise if any of these may be suitable for you.
For Relief from Back Pain in NYC – See a Top Spine Surgeon
Choosing the right spine surgeon to operate on your spine is crucial. Dr. Ezriel Kornel is a top spine surgeon in NYC. He has many years of experience in all areas of brain and spine surgery, and his unsurpassed level of expertise places him at the forefront of cutting edge technology and the latest techniques in spine and back pain surgery. Dr. Kornel also takes a holistic and compassionate approach to his patients, treating them as a whole entity incorporating mind as well as body. While he offers expert opinion and advice relating to back pain surgery, taking into account the diagnosis, overall health, and suitability for surgery, the decision to proceed with any surgical procedure is a collaborative process between Dr. Kornel and his patient.
Please call our office on (914) 351-3600 to schedule an appointment to see Dr. Kornel, or visit our website at topspinesurgeonnyc.com to learn more about alleviating your back pain and whether back pain surgery is an option for you.