Sex is an important part of life! Back pain during sex, particularly lower back pain, can be excruciating, and some people have such a difficult time with their pain that enjoyment of sex seems impossible. The good news is that there are multiple solutions! Back pain should not mean “NO SEX AT ALL”; it may instead simply require a slightly different approach to enjoying physical intimacy.
Sex is one of life’s greatest natural pleasures. Sex is an integral part of a normal and healthy relationship, it brings us closer to our partner, it releases feel good hormones which are great for our bodies, and it’s fun! The truth is that healthy people can enjoy a satisfying sex life well into their elderly years.
For millions of Americans who experience back pain, however, sex can be painful. This can cause frustration and upset, with an impact not just physical but also emotional and psychological. This in turn can damage relationships and spill over into other aspects of one’s life.
But there are always helpful solutions!
Ways to Improve Your Intimacy When You Have Back Pain
1. Communicate. Communication is paramount to any close relationship and it applies to sex as much as anything. Be open, honest, and talk with your partner about not just sex but your feelings and thoughts as well. This lays the foundation for a closer connection.
2. Relax and Be Patient. Be kind to yourself. Take time, it’s not a race!
3. Experiment. There are many ways to enjoy sex – it’s simply a matter of taking some time to experiment with different sex positions for back pain to find what works for you and to learn what to avoid that triggers a pain response. Remember too that sex is not just traditional intercourse – there are many other ways to enjoy intimacy.
4. Seek Professional Help. If back pain is a chronic issue for you, whether it impacts on your sex life or not, seek advice from a specialist regarding whether back pain surgery in Manhattan is recommended for you.
Addressing the root cause of your back pain may be the key to improving all aspects of your life, including your sex life.
Best Sex Positions for Back Pain
The very act of having intercourse requires specific movement of the spine and hips, and this can trigger or exacerbate pain in the back.
The best sex positions for you will, to a large extent, depend on the part of your back which is painful, and it may require some experimentation to figure out what works best for you. Doctors have traditionally recommended people suffering back pain to use a “spooning” position, lying side by side. This might work for some, but for others there are certainly better alternatives. It’s a matter of finding one or more that don’t trigger your back pain.
A good rule of thumb is that the partner who suffers back pain should be the one controlling the motion.
- “Doggie” Style – on hands and knees with partner behind.
- “Missionary” Style – with the knees and hands supporting the partner on top (not elbows). Use a small pillow to offer support under the back.
- “Woman” on top – controlling motion using hips and knees rather than spine.
- Male Standing – with the other partner either sitting or lying on a bench or table – to allow the spine to be straight.
Remember, there are no rules when it comes to sex! Whatever works for you and your partner is great – so have some fun figuring that out. Anytime something hurts, stop and try a new position – even a small variation can make a big difference. And the best news is that orgasms release endorphins in the body – and these are your body’s natural pain reliever!
For Relief From Ongoing Back Pain – Visit a Premium Spine Surgeon in Manhattan
Back pain will usually resolve in time with conservative treatments. If your back pain lasts longer than six weeks, and if it’s impinging on your life, including your sex life, it’s time to see a premium spine surgeon in Manhattan to find out whether surgery is recommended for you. Note that anytime back pain or injury causes impotence of any kind, it is an urgent medical case and needs to be assessed immediately.
Dr. Ezriel E. Kornel is a first class leader in spine surgery. He is amongst the very best spine surgeons in the United States of America, and he sees patients in his three convenient locations in New York City, Dutchess County, and Westchester County.
Call our office today at 914-948-0444 to schedule an appointment to see Dr. Ezriel E. Kornel, or visit our new website at topspinesurgeonnyc.com. Reclaim your quality of life and enjoy a better tomorrow!